Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:52:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        dr@kyx.net, drew@planetwe.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus A7V and booting FreeBSD 4.2R from the onboard Promise ATA-100 controller

Both 4.1 and 4.2 works on A7V in my experience.
There is a random hanging time during probing the ATA66/100 dirves.
I just found some interesting issue for ATA-66/100 drives to cause such hang.

I bought a bounch of ATA-66/100 WDC and Maxtor drives (10/20/40/45/60/80).
Even with the same type of drives, say WDC450AA, each dirve has different
response time the Tx rate (slightly different). If putting them on the
same IDE bus, they cause trouble for the Tx rate. I do not have any detailed
information on why this happens because I do not have time to analyse the
singnal on the IDE bus. I guess there is confilct on the bus.

About 8 years ago, when seagate Elite-2 came to the market, this dirve
always try to grab at least two bus cycle before releasing the bus. It caused
numbers of bus reset and reduced Tx rate to the half if more than one drives
on the bus :-( (that was SCSI bus)

I am not familiar with IDE signal. But I guess there is similar thing happened
to these new drives that may not complaint with ATA-66/100 standard.

Try to use one ATA-100 drive on each IDE bus to see if that work for you.

	-Jin