Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:16:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyway to get connect speed with usermode ppp/tun0 device?

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 12:31:53AM -0700, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

>> can point to the customer and say "it ain't my problem your connection
>> sucks so badly, it's the phone company's problem".
>
> Speaking to reps from the phone company somehow I doubt that --- more
> likely (especially if your a tenant) is inside wiring as the culprit.
> Phone companies (at least in the US) are required to maintain certain
> levels of measurable line quality.

Yup, they are.  I've been spending a lot of time with Telstra,
Australia's main telco (I've been thinking of writing up the story--it
would be funny if it hadn't been such a pain).  One of them told me
the standards that they have to maintain: you must be able to run a
V.22bis modem on the lines.  For those who don't know, that translates
to 2400 bps.

This doesn't mean that they won't look at a problem if it means, for
example, that somebody running his V.34 modem only gets 14,400 bps.
But if they can't fix it, they'll say, "sorry, you're still getting
better than we guarantee".

I'd guess that the situation is the same in other countries.  It's
only been a few years since V.22bis was the norm, and that's what the
phone companies laid for, so it's even reasonable for them to take
this stance.  For the record, apart from this reported incident, I've
had no problems whatsoever with Telstra's line quality (about the only
problem I haven't had with Telstra), and I live way out in the hills.

Greg