Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 05:07:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wes Side Story <wdorale@rs1.mtmc.edu>
To:        Gunter.Loos@ngonet.be
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user PPP server problem

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Gunter Loos wrote:

> Annelise Anderson wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Anil John wrote:
> >
> > > Agreed.  But no satisfactory answers have been given to us FreeBSD/Unix
> > > novices on how to go about setting this up :).  I have a win95 and FreeBSD
> > > box connected using ethernet. I would like to dial up using the FreeBSD box
> > > using user mode PPP and be able to browse using the tools I have on the
> > > Win95 box.  I do currently have a dyanamic IP assigned to me when I log
> > > into my ISP.  But I have everything setup right such that it works.  I can
> > > use lynx, ftp, telnet etc from the FreeBSD box.
> >

> > But it seems to me you're talking about dialing an ISP from one machine
> > (running FreeBSD) and expecting another machine (running Win95) connected
> > to it via ethernet to be able to use the connection to the ISP to browse,
> > telnet, ping, etc. the outside world.  I don't even know if this is
> > possible.
> > >
> Think it is. Use proxies. And, as stated in other mails, there's no problem then
> when using reserved IP numbers...
>
> Oh well. Another thread on this subject. There should definitely something be
> done on it. Anyone interested in a project on documentation, gathering pointers,
> tutorials etc on the different aspects of ppp/FreeBSD? I am, so contact me...
>
> Gul.

Well, since I'm the one who started this thread you'll be happy to know
that with everyone's help I've managed for the most part to get dial-up
ppp running on my FreeBSD machine so that my Win95 machine can access the
Internet via dial-up networking(using it right now :)!!  The only problem
left is that once I disconnect, I am unable to get the a ppp connection
again untill I reboot the FreeBSD machine and restart ppp.  Then it works
ok for one more connection... and so on.  Any idea on what the fix for
this is?  I also would be more than happy to help with putting together
documentation for dial=up ppp, of course all I know is how to guess what
combination of settings will work :)
Thanks for everyone's help.

Wes Dorale
Mount Marty College