Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:44:10 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small spaces

In message <38D43E0E.1DDECC10@confusion.net>, Laurence Berland writes:
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.4 on an old 486 I've got lying around to
> use as a NATing firewall for my home network, but I've only got a 200
> Meg HD around.  I'm gonna go get another HD later, but right now I'd
> like to get running with just that.  So far I've been trying with 16 to
> swap and various other combinations, but it always seems to run out of
> /usr space.  I figure / should be at least 32MB, and the rest (~152MB)
> goes to /usr.  I'm trying to install the binaries, the docs, and the
> kernel source (but not the rest of the source).  Any idea if it's even
> possible?  Should I shrink down the root partition more?  I've done
> loads of installs at this point, but all on HDs with at least a gig for
> FreeBSD.  Any ideas where I can get a bigger HD that's still under the
> limit for old BIOSen?  Thanks in advance for any help.

My 486/33 looks like this.  X, games, /compat, and /usr/share are
served off my P120 server.  Swap on this machine is 43 MB backing 20 MB
RAM.  The root disk, which contains /var and /usr, is a 200 MB slice
which is 43% full.

For a pure firewall machine, don't install X, games, info files, so you
should be able to run it stand-alone.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC