Date:      14 Mar 2000 11:38:21 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@over.ru>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inexpensive tape changer?

I've been using a 4xDDS2 changer made by Connor/Seagate. They've been
turning up at auction and surplus houses. I run it under FreeBSD-3.x
with Amanda's chio driver.

The first one I bought was US$125 from www.onsale.com including the 4x
tape-holder cartridge! Last I checked, www.ezsystems.com had em but
you'll need to get the 4x cartridge separately for a total cost of
around US$300-400 or something.

There's also a 12x cartridge but I've never tried it so I can't vouch
for it's durability.

It's the most cost-effective thing I've found, though stock at surplus
houses changes quite a bit.  I can't affor DLT even without a changer
:-(