Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 12:46:12 -0500
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Marketing opportunity...

Newsgroups: comp.newprod
Subject: Re: CD Net for Windows NT Announcement

In article <9508180421.aa12753@redtail.cruzio.com>,
 <jhill@meridian-data.com> wrote:
> Available August 18, 1995, CD Net for Windows NT software has a suggested
> list price (U.S.) of $1,995 for an unlimited-user server license.

For $1,995 I can buy a PC, install FreeBSD and SAMBA on it, and add CD-ROM
drives as required (7 per SCSI card). I will be able to put up to an unlimited
number of CDROM drives under a single drive letter.

> Windows NT is also available integrated with Meridian's CD ROM network
> servers.  The CD Net 914 network system, configured with seven CD ROM drives,
> has a starting suggested list price of $12,795;

For $12,795... let's see, for $300 per drive, plus $100 per cabinet for each
group of 7 drives, plus $300 for a good SCSI card...

	$2000	FreeBSD server, 1 CD, Pentium, 16 MB.		 $2000
	$2600	7 CD cabinet, x4				$10400
		Total						$12400

For $12400 I get 29 CDROMS, under one drive letter.  Not bad...