Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:10:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option MROUTING

> Any reason why MROUTING is not enabled in the default kernel configuration.

Sure.  Because for 99% of the userbase, it would only constitute
unnecessary bloat.  How many here out of the some 10,000 readers of
this list are using multicast?  100?  500?  You don't need to respond
with a yes/no on this (please don't! :), my point simply being that
it's a small fraction of the user base and even those who really want
to run multicast these days still often find themselves blocked
upstream by ISPs who DON'T want to run multicast traffic. :-)

I've also never heard any complaints from the remaining 1% that it
was difficult to enable or anything.  If you're clued-in enough to
even know how to get multicast traffic at your site, you probably
also know how to compile a kernel. :)

- Jordan