Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:19:28 -0400
From:      Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
To:        dmp@aracnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HW requirements

At 03:17 PM 9/3/99 -0700, dmp@aracnet.com wrote:
>Yes, for a normal workstation.  But Michael's building a gateway.
>NAT, xntpd, ipfw/ipfilter, and DNS don't need much.  The only
>hardware capacity issue you really have to concern yourself with is
>having sufficient network hardware and processing power to handle a
>saturated internet link.  Other than that, a few steps to fix
>potential security problems and DoS vulnerabilities and you're good
>to go.

Now what kind of DoS (Not MS DOS right *cringe*) vulnerabilities would
those be? Potential security problems? My friends linux box was over run by
someone (apparently) from israel and while no apparent damage was done I'd
like to avoid any occcurances of that on my machine.  They used a buffer
over run attack he said (not really sure what that is just yet). I figure
the only services I will have running will be the minimum for the gateway
and I think also a firewall as I am a paranoid schitzo *grin* Though if a
win 95 machine on the subnet wants to FTP a file does that mean I have to
be running FTP services on the gateway BSD box? Or does it just happily
transfer the packets along?

Though, would it be bad form to also put say.. apache on the same machine?
I think I might have enough parts for 2 boxes if I spend a little money for
the extra NIC. All the NICs will be 3com with cat5 wire to a 3com 4 port
hub. I bought the nifty 'home office' package };) and I figured that there
would be good drivers for 3com.

Now it will just be my self and my fiance on the sub net. I dont think we
could saturate the link except for the occational mass web page updating
she or I might do.  After that its just going to be surfing.

Thanks for your comments and help in advance!

-Michael the network inept. But I'm learning fast!