Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:41:09 -0600
From:      <soralx@cydem.zp.ua>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk damage by driver?

> athlon system. These drives had very high usage at almost all times. In my
> file server, however, the hard drives get VERY hot. So much so, that you
> can't touch them without burning your hands. All the drives in the file
> server have been running well over a year in those conditions and I haven't
> had any problems with it. The server load itself is very light, however.
> I have heard of drives failig due to heat, but never due to usage. But I can
> guarantee that the 7200 RPM drives in the file server are much hotter than
> the drives in the workstations were.

> Does usage have any bearing on drive life? It seems that the cooling is not
> important as long as the usage load on the drives is fairly low...
IMHO, the possibility of failing of the bearing holding the actuator arms is very
low, especially comparing to the bearings in the spindle assembly, which isn't
high either. As for the friction between the usable surface of discs and heads -
it's present when the heads are not parked, and, I guess, they're in this state
only when the drive is off or in power-saving state, so drive load almost
shouldn't affect its life.
Don't have good practical confirmation

I have 5 HDs in a small tower case (2 are mounted in 5" slots), one of them,
10Gb FBSD root, was with bad sectors before I put other 4 - all 5 run hot
and still work well :)
I think, high temperature is not a big problem - just the variations of it are
bad for the drives
Modern drives allow expansion of the ferromagnetic discs with heat and adjust
heads properly

31.07.2002; 22:01:10
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.zp.ua/