Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:04:51 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Stupid question no 10101

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyhow.

If you're an ISP, and need to share password info between machines,
but not keep identical info on the machines, how do you handle it? NIS
(aka YP) isn't the answer as it's about as insecure as a bank run out
of plastic shopping bags. About the only solution I have right now is
spending several days coding a password exchange system that'll sync
the databases between machines, and handle add/del users, etc, but I'd
rather try and find a less labour-intensive way of doing it ...

Thanks,

Gary