Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:31:16 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Putting a Bell Character in the CSH Prompt

	I am not exactly a newby to FreeBSD, but this is certainly a
newby question in that I am not sure where to look for the answer.

	I want the prompt string in the .cshrc file to contain a Bell
or ASCII 7 character.  Normally, this is no problem.  If one is using
the C-shell, a prompt string like

set prompt="\a\!# "

	I am using a VT100 emulator and it can certainly receive
bells.  If I type a CTRL-G on the keyboard, I hear a beep.  It is only
when I receive the prompt string that it is not a bell but ^G.

	If I use the bash shell, I get a bell.

	What might be effecting the C-shell's output in this way?