Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:47:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran conundrum

> According to Mike Smith:
> > >  (3) Rip Fortran out of the base distribution.
> > >
> > >      This seem to be the logical choice (provided f2c can be converted
> > >      to a port).  I have been merging our f2c and the sources from netlib
> > >      with the intend to produce a port.  There is, however, one major
> > >      caveat that needs to be address.  /usr/bin/f77 is a driver program
> > >      which sets up an execution of our Fortran-aware gcc frontend
> > >      (see src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77).  I have been unsuccessful in moving this
> > >      driver out of src/gnu, and still retain its functionality.
> >
> > Can you clarify on the problems inherent in moving the f77 executable?
> >

> f77.c contains #include "config.h", and I haven't located where this
> header lives.  It defines preprocessor directives like HAVE_VPRINTF,
> but it may in fact contain other things that are less obvious to me.

It's a one-line file generated at build time by cc_tools/Makefile:

config.h hconfig.h tconfig.h:
        echo '#include "${MACHINE_ARCH}/xm-freebsd.h"' > ${.TARGET}

which includes src/contrib/gcc/config/<arch>/xm-freebsd.h, which in
turn includes src/contrib/gcc/config/<arch>/xm-<arch>.h and
src/contrib/gcc/config/xm-freebsd.h, which defines:

#define HAVE_PUTENV
#define HAVE_STRERROR
#define DONT_DECLARE_SYS_SIGLIST
#define HOST_PTR_PRINTF "%p"

> I'm still looking at what I can do with f77.c.  I've submitted a
> PR that removes quite a bit of dead code in f77.c.

If you're continuing on your way to extracting it completely from the
tree, the PR should be ignored for now, correct?