Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:39:37 -0500
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Anastasia Leventi-Peetz <leventi@fgan.de>
Cc:        users@ipv6.org, users-ship@ipv6.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd-BSD and standalone

oops? for what it is worth: ftpd is stared from inetd on BSD systems
since the very existence of inetd, that is since the early 1980s.
There is no reason this should not work, unless you are on some creepy
system, or I may not have the full context here. Let's say you may
be doing IPv6 and the ftpd that's called from inetd6 is not IPv6
ready? In that case, check the path in inetd.conf and make sure you've
got the IPv6 ready ftpd invoked instead of the old one. However, on
FreeBSD you have everything IPv6 ready out of the box these days.
I'm sure you have some file version mess-up, because I would even
trust Linux these days to be able to make a standard FTP connection :-).
It sometimes helps to take all security down for a moment. Be aware that
ftp needs a separate data channel, so if you do IP filters and TCP
wrappers you might get into all sorts of troubles if you don't know
exactly what you're doing.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine