Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:34:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: For who is interested

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> > > Its more than that that has changed. I believe that there are also options to
> > > have CPUs with larger L2 caches, and the hard drive has been upgraded from the
> > > crappy slow one in the older U5's to at least a 5400 RPM drive, if not a
> > > 7200RPM drive. I forget all the details, I'm not really in the market much for
> > > U5's at work :)
> >
> > I'm supposed to get the next one that comes out of company HQ!  Yay!
>
> In the meantime, I have a shiny new (well, not so shiny and new to me)
> SPARCstation IPX at home, running NetBSD 1.3.3 on a 1.2 GB drive.  I
> bought this specifically to play with the FreeBSD SPARC port as it
> progresses, and to help out where I can.  Here's what it cost me:
>
> 	From GSTek, www.gstek.com:
> 		Barebones SPARCstation IPX:	$35
> 		Sun/Conner 200MB SCSI drive:	  5
>
> 	From a friend at work:
> 		1.2G SCSI drive:		$50
>
> 	From Computer Renassiance:
> 		72 pin 16MB FPM parity SIMM:	$57
>
> 	From DataComm Warehouse, www.warehouse.com:
> 		Transition AUI->10baseT xcvr:	$20
> 						---
> 					       $167

i'm drooling at the 3000$ ultra10!!! i payed $100 less for a ultra1
grrrrr... :)

> Anyone who wants to jump into the SPARC port but thought they couldn't
> afford a Sun machine, your number is up.  You might want to talk to
> GSTek about RAM, those FPM parity SIMMs are getting hard to find.  You'll
> also need a serial cable, see if your local cable supplier has a Mac to
> IBM "laplink" or "file transfer" cable; the serial ports on the IPX are
> 8-pin mini-DIN connectors wired just like the early Macintosh.

The stuff i'm working on is for sparc64. :/

> Now, where do I get the compiler suite from?  Has anybody made a binary
> package yet?  ;^)

i have a netbsd i386-> sparc64 compiler available in source and binary
form on:

ftp://janus.syracuse.net/pub/FreeBSD/sparc64/

look in egcs directory for all kinds of goodies.

if anything, though the biggest advancment for future porting would be
moving to egcs.  2.7.2.2 is _terrible_ right now, egcs-current is also in
a bad state, perhaps when the next egcs release happens i'll take a
serious effort on seeing if i can get it compile freebsd.

even the egcs that netbsd uses is quite broken and they recommend building
with a later snap (which the compilers i have on Janus are NOT) i'm going
to work on getting a newer snap of egcs to work.

question... what platform makes the most sense to build the cross compiler
for? i386->sparc64, sparc32->sparc64?

the coolest part about all this is that the netbsd is going to be the
first 64bit userland from what i see.

btw, i'm 'zbrightmn' on #freebsd/#bsdcode

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        4.0-current