Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:20:09 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chip <chip@wiegand.org>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?
References:  <20020123114658.A514@lpt.ens.fr> <20020123223104.SM01952@there> <3C4FBE5C.2AE8C65@mindspring.com> <4.3.2.7.2.20020124213809.00e6e5d0@localhost> <20020125131659.GB7374@hades.hell.gr> <3C51CD33.4E69B204@mindspring.com> <20020125143213.A70659@HAL9000.wox.org> <3C51E7ED.25FF34BA@mindspring.com> <20020125190153.A71616@HAL9000.wox.org> <3C5269A3.2FAB735B@mindspring.com> <20020126005722.A77604@HAL9000.wox.org>

David Schultz wrote:
> Compaq used to ship their cheaper desktop systems with a CD that
> writes a drive image instead of a Windows CD.  Thus, you could delete
> a single system file and have to wipe everything out, and you couldn't
> move Windows to a larger disk.  It pissed the hell out of me.

It is practically a requirement for Windows XP and other
non-FAT based OSs, which don't have tools that can run in
DOS mode to create an FS of that type, or write contents
to that FS type.

The Sony VAIO "System Recovery" and "Application Recovery"
CDROMs for Windows up through ME are perhaps the best I've
ever seen.  I don't know what Sony does with XP, since I
don't have a Sony system that ships with XP, and wouldn't
have any XP systems at all, if it weren't for licensing
and cost considerations for test equipment.

The Sony VAIO system recovery CDROM permits recovery of
deleted files without loss of information, and recovery
of the OS in a user created partition (after repartitioning
for installation of another OS, and subsequent loss of the
Windows partition to the vagraies of whatever), or full
image-blasting of the disk (partition table and all).  The
Application recovery CDROMs can be used to incrementally
recover damaged applications, install optional applications
and other data, or reinstall from scratch.

I like the Sony VAIO recovery procedures.  Though I rather
expect we are just as screwed on Windows XP recovery with
Sony supplied recovery media (I would be happy to hear
differently).

> > If you're interested: the !@#$@%! "Norton Ghost" just
> > writes the disk, without writing the partition table,
> > unless the partition table isn't there already.
>
> It works well for what it was designed to do, namely, making (almost)
> exact clones of OS installations.

Which is great if you are installing a system for the
first time at a factory, or mass producing desktop setups
in an IT department at a company, but much less great if
what you are doing is recovering from a trashed Windows
system file, and don't want to trash the data on your
Windows partition (e.g. .DOC files you created after you
bought the machine, before you broke it), and incredibly
less great if you've already repartitioned and installed
FreeBSD or Linux, and have data there, as well.

-- Terry