Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin/9485: lpr uses wrong username (3.0-R)

The following reply was made to PR bin/9485; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To: kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:34:06 -0500 (EST)

 <<On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:08:05 +0100 (CET), Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de> said:

 > 	Login on a 3.0-R system as root and stop an arbitrary printer
 > 	queue to make sure that you've time enough to look a the queue.
 > 	Print a file (lpr). The su to a normal user and print again.
 > 	Take a look at the queue by lpq. Both jobs are owned by root.

 This was intentional -- all files are printed under the login of the
 user, unless no login context is present, in which case it falls back
 to the old mechanism.  See setlogin(2).  The intent is to make life
 easier for large sites where many people have root access and still
 want to distinguish their print requests.

 -GAWollman