Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 21:11:07 +0200
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

David Chisnall schreef:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.
>
> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it?
>
> David_______________________________________________

Why i use and still use FreeBSD
1) stability
2) ease of use
3) ZFS
4) Community
5) I does the things i need.

The first encounter with FreeBSD was with FreeBSD 4.5 if i recall correct.
I did try a lot of Linux distro's in that time, and could not find a
distro that suits me well.
I did use redhat 6 to 7 and Suse also tried Slackware, and gentoo that
was new at that time.
But each distro had it quircks, redhat and dependency hell, suse had
yast which was horrible back then.
Gentoo had way to many knobs you need to set to get it compiled and so on.
Then i did try FreeBSD and it did what i needed back then, the installer
was something i need to figure out, but once i got the idea of slices
and so on, it did what i needed.
Upgrading was easy, rebuilding the system worked and so on.
It never let me down. I was a happy camper, and settled with FreeBSD.
Till today i still can do all i want.
Mail server, Web server, MailScanner server, samba server, ISCSI server
and NFS server is what we need today, and FreeBSD does it all.
Now with ZFS , things got even better.

Did try some Linux distro's, but only for the desktop.
Linux Mint is what i use on the laptop now.

As long as there is no need to use Linux to get things done i stick with
FreeBSD.

regards
Johan