Date:      19 Jun 1997 11:35:12 +0200
From:      sec@42.org (Stefan `Sec` Zehl)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?  :-)

In article <199706190442.AAA06733@ethanol.gnu.ai.mit.edu>, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> Something to try sometime: install GNU hostname in the PATH
> before the *bsd version of hostname.  Use that to set root's
> prompt.  It has a very different effect than what you would
> expect.  After logining in as root with the prompt configured
> like that, the output of `hostname' will be `-s'...

You don't need GNU hostname for that - SunOS's will suffice.

Thoe whole story is, that we have a whole cluster of FreeBSD PCs(13) and a Sun
4m as NFS server. We were porting FreeBSDs /etc/daily for the sun, so we get
the same mail from every bos. And yes, there's a line

host=`hostname -s`

directly at the beginning :)

this was rather funny as my prompt then changed to "-s" and i was actually
looking for a mistake in my .tcshrc :))

CU,
	Sec
--
Fuer die Raupe ist es das Ende der Welt,
Fuer den Rest der Welt ist es ein Schmetterling