Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 15:04:31 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Andrew J. Brehm" <andrew@netneurotic.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GIF

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Andrew J. Brehm wrote:

> I understand you have no connection to the Free Software Foundation, and
> I also understand that the question whether to use GIF files or not is
> more of a political question than a technical one.

unlike fsf, the freebsd project holds no software patents, but that is a
topic for another list.

> But since FreeBSD is, as the name implies, free, and since software
> patents threaten the development of FreeBSD as much as that of GNU,
> wouldn't it be better not to support GIF and use PNG or JPEG instead?

The logos date from time when none of the major - or not so major -
browsers supported png. jpeg really isn't the right format for such
things. Thus, there was no practical choice.

Software patents are a political issue - talk to the person representing
in the parliament or the equvalent of that to get them outlawed in the
place you live.

> I was going to download some FreeBSD logos, but I could only find these
> "powered by..." logos, and all of them were GIFs. Thus I decided not to
> download them, because the idea of having a collection of logos of free
> software made of GIF files seemed to be rather weird to me.

If I was you - and had such problems - I would have downloaded and then
converted them to some other format.