Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:31:18 -0700
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        snap-users@kame.net, stable@freebsd.org, xbone@ISI.EDU
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 2942) Re: KAME/FreeBSD-stable merge

itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >> is there any reason why the (misnamed, but that's another issue) XBONEHACK
> >> option was eliminated during the recent KAME/FreeBSD-stable merge? (File
> >> /usr/src/sys/net/if_gif.c.) It took us a while to get this added to KAME,
> >> and we'd really like to see it merged into FreeBSD.
>
>         - it does not seem like a common option to me (it is just a quickhack
>           for supporting special need at xbone project, which could have been
>           handled as local patch), and it does not seem to me good for
>           integrating into freebsd-current/releases

The first xbone release has been downloaded a few hundred times in the
first few days (I haven't looked at the logs since), and we've been on
slashdot, so I'd say there is an audience out there.

Also, it seems to me that there are plenty of options in FreeBSD dealing
with enabling support for 3rd party software packages, or experimental code
for people to play with - off the top of my head: USER_LDT, XSERVER, NULL,
PORTAL, UMAP, UNION, PPS_SYNC, ... The xbone switch falls in the same
category.

>         - support issues (who handles questions about it?  i don't want to)

We will. Please add a comment saying that questions should be sent to
xbone@isi.edu.
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>                 Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/                University of Southern California