Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:41:13 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
To:        "Kenneth W Cochran" <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth W Cochran" <kwc@world.std.com>
> But there are likely other things I'm interested
> in getting installed/updated on that machine besides security
> fixes.  Granted, security fixes should/would be high-priority,
> but tracking -stable & cvs-all might indicate something I want. :)

<IMHO>
It sounds like you haven't done this remotely before, so ...  don't change
stuff you "might want" on your first remote production system.  Put only
changes you absolutely NEED on it, and always test the install process via
sshd on more accessible (local) machine first.  You blow a remote update
badly enough, you're to going need that console access real bad because
you'll be missing a network service or disk mount.

(I wouldn't put changes I "might want" on my second or third remote
production systems either, but that's me.)

If you think I'm trying to scare the <expletive> out of you, I am.  :-)
</IMHO>

> "STABLE Releases?"  ??

As opposed to the first release off the 5.x branch.  I think a JKH e-mail
labeled 5.0 for "early adopters".

> >(You could do a unattended install if you try hard enough with
> >a custom CD which blindly copied what you wanted onto disk.
> >Chuck the BSD Daemon help you if it dies -- sounds like no
> >one else can.)
>
> Probably not worth the trouble, or Someone Would Have Already
> Done It... :)

Perhaps someone (even on this list) has.   But it's not common.

> Hmmm, so in that case, what would be the difference between single-user
> mode & "multiuser" with lotsa daemons shut-down?

I don't *think* kernel behavior changes (someone correct me here!) as you go
single user, so the answer is not much.

Sounds like the only two extra things you may want running are named and
sshd

-ahd-