Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:26:52 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        Phil Homewood <pdh@bit.net.au>, Dave Edmondson <david@jlc.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm driver

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 05:44:33PM -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Phil Homewood wrote:
> > Dave Edmondson wrote:
> > > I finally got a Sound Blaster 16 non-PnP model working. Both pcm and sbc
> > > had to be in the old ISA:
> > >
> > > pcm0		at isa? ...
> > > sbc0		at isa? ...
> > >
> > > ...format. After remaking sbc0, it seemed to work fine.

	[[ ... ]]

> This topic has been hashed to death previously on this forum.  The SB16, SB
> Vibra16, the Ensoniq 1371-1373 and many other sound cards use *only* device
> pcm.  device pcm is 16 bit sound, device sbc0 is 8 bit sound.  I presently have
> a SB16 installed and am using RealPlayer7 to listen to Beethoven's Emperor
> Concerto in vivid 16 bit clear stereo.  I previously had the SB Vibra 16 and
> Ensoniq 1373 installed.  Using ONLY device pcm, all of them worked perfectly.
>  See the attached kernel config file "dave" and dmesg.  Note the kernel build
> date.  It is the same date as cvsup and make buildworld.
>
> If sbc1 or pcm1 appear in your dmesg, you have to "sh /dev/MAKEDEV snd1".  If
> sbc0 or pcm0 appear in your dmest, you "sh /dev/MAKEDEV snd0".

	Trying this now and will let the list know.  --At least the word
	about sound and 4.X is spreading, so there are that many more to
	help next time.

	thanks,

	gary

	PS:  In my other FBSD platform I've got an AWE64 and
	     device pcm seems to have been correct.

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix