Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:28:27 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: berkeley packet filter doesn't work??

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 03:22:39PM -0600, nathan wrote:

> all i'm wanting to do is scan the traffic of the approximate 20 machines
> that we have connected through a 100 mbit/s 3com switch

The point of a switch is to prevent data from being sent to machines
that have no need for it.  There's no way for bpf to show you packets
that never come down the wire to your machine.

I've never operated a switch myself.  Maybe there's a way to tell it
that a certain port should get all of the packets, whether they're
destined for that machine or not.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *