Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 22:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        patl@asimov.volant.org
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, gryphon@healer.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

The thing about the old Sunos system (/etc/rc)
was that every time yu added or subtracted a package you contributed to the
entropy in that file..
things got shuffled etc.

with the sysV approach you keep the details hidden in the files and
the directory is an overview..

I'm sure we can do something similar to both..
the OSF systems (OSF on a PC) I run here use the SYSV
approach.
It's not bad.
 slightly complex but it's good having the symbolic links
in /sbin/rc3.d pointing to /sbin/init.d
it means you can delete the symlink if you don't want it
and the directory gets cleaner..
it's easy to se what's going on at a glance.
and it's easy to undo..