Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:05:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > <<On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:56:37 -0800 (PST), Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> said:
> > > [flamage deleted]
> >
> > I suggest that people just drop this.  Crispin is a well-known flamer
> > and is not likely to be swayed by anyone else's idea of the Right
> > Thing.
>
> He is also the principle author (apparently) of IMAP4, a highly
> desirable piece of software for anyone with a 1995 or later mail
> client.

	Agreed...which is why I brought this whole discussion into here...

	From what Mark has said, about the only way I can think of for
getting this *obvious* security bug fixed is to, either:

	a) get other OS system administrators to complain about the
	   security hole opened up by 1777
	b) talk to the guy that signs his paycheck, since he has already
	   stated once something to the effect that if he were to change
	   the code, those that pay his check would be breathing down his
	   neck...

	3 years ago, I stopped supporting Elm and supported IMAP/Pine
*because* I no longer had to worry about the possibility of file corruption
associated with dealing with NFS-mounted mail spools.

	IMHO...what having .lock locking capabilities in IMAP4 is
doing is encouraging system administrators to use NFS mounted mail
spools, instead of *teaching* system administrators to *not* setup
their systems that way...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org