Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:44:52 -0500
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: are backplanes needed for IDE RAID?

>    If you really need hot-swap IDE drives, you might want to take a look
>at following website.
>
>  http://www.rackmount.com/RackSvr/ColocationServer1125-IDE-RAID.htm
>
>   The IDE Raid unit has a build-in IDE-to-IDE RAID-1 controller.  It
>doesn't need a RAID software driver for FreeBSD O.S.  Actually you can
>install any types of operating system on it using a standard IDE driver.

... because it's standard IDE RAID1 on the Asus mobo.

>(Operating system independent RAID system).
>Cool stuff!

IDE/ATA is not very cool stuff for a busy server since the OS/CPU is more
heavily taxed to drive the IDE channels than it is with SCSI.

One big advantage of the 3ware controllers is that they provide disk channels
with lower OS/CPU overhead than standard IDE/ATA channels, nearly as low as
SCSI controllers, according to 3ware's "benchmarks".

I also "think" they have solved the ATA master/slave bus contention by
having separate busses for each ATA drive.

So, ime, the Asus mobo RAID1 and 3ware RAID are simply not comparable.

Len