Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:19:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        david@catwhisker.org, vdue@zen.tc
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>

>I looked at the possibilty of using one of my servers as the AP for
>the laptop, but the info on setting this up is a bit sketchy regarding
>some of the aspects. PCI v ISA, and which cards are supported in this
>configuration. From the BAWUG page, I did find the info on how to
>setup the FreeBSD base station, but it references the ISA setup.

>My server doesn't have any ISA slots. 8-) (Abit VP6 w/4.3-STABLE)

I've not done this sort of thing myself, so I won't add to any confusion
by commenting further on it, except to note that some folks do use such
setups.

>I was considering the Linksys WAP11, but I recall reading that the
>configure options aren't password protected. This seems like a pretty
>serious flaw to me. Too bad, as the WAP11 was pretty cheap.

Yes, well....  I would observe that that would appear to have been
precisely the problem -- it was indeed "cheap" (vs., e.g.,
"inexpensive").

>> Well, that depends.  :-}  (You probably could reasonably have expected
>> that "answer".)

>Hehe. That answer _always_ applies to *nix.

As well as many other fields....  :-}

>Not being a developer, much less having the ability to do anything but
>the most basic editing of source code (and I do mean basic....), I
>usually pretty careful about messing about with my sources. Usually,
>cvsup is run from cron on a regular basis. My question was whether or
>not adding in the patches would confuse cvsup, or if cvsup would just
>clobber the original files.

CVSup, in my experience, will clobber the original files quite well.

If you pursue this, you may want to maintain a location where you keep
your patches.  :-}

>As long as the standards are, well, standard, then any AP should work
>with any card?

As long as they are permitted (MAC address restrictions; SSIDs; WEP keys;
...) and able (distance; disruptors (possibly microwave ovens, for
example); ...), yes, that is my understanding.

>I'm assuming, then, that the cisco cards and AP provide
>a bit of additional functionality?

Well, the Cisco/Aironet APs are what we happen to use at work.

And some vendors, including Cisco, appear to be aware of the need for
improvement, and are working on providing that.

>Then again, if its all insecure, perhaps the additional functionality
>isn't worth the cost...

In general, it is good to consider the cost of just about any security
steps one might take -- and don't restrict the scope to merely monetary
considerations.  :-}  You are likely to find that there are some things
you can do that improve the situation a fair amount, but cost little.
There's a reason the expression "point of diminishing returns" has
become a cliche....  :-)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.