Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:31:23 +0100
From:      stephw@xs4all.nl
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   adaptec 2940u2w hangs on external disks

Hi,

We now got 3 boxes converted from bsdi to freebsd 3.1R with two
adaptec 2940U2W with Seagate ST39102 ultra2lv disks. We tried
attaching only one outside disk to only one controller but the
problem still persists. Once in a while freebsd will not boot, but
hang during boot up, after 'waiting for scsi devices to settle.'
We tried the same controller with the same scsi setup, and the same
disks in a linux box and the problem didnt occur, so it's definetely
some freebsd problem.

Is this problem known yet, and is there some fix for it ?

many thanks in advance,
bye,
Stephanie
	"I had to hit him -- he was starting to make sense."