Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 05:10:23 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

>(Sorry, i'm not yet back on -hackers, so i'm going to miss pieces.)
>
>>    FreeBSD 2.0.5 and beyond will automatically use all free memory for file
>> caching...no hacks are needed.
>
>The idea was not to use the _free_ memory, but _dedicate_ a large
>amount of memory for the buffer cache.

   In the scheme of things it is escentially the same thing. As long as the
server doesn't have other things happening on it, eventually nearly all of the
memory will become a huge file cache. If the server is also a general purpose
development machine or does other memory intensive things, the situation will
be different of course...but I don't think that's what we're talking about
here.

-DG