Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 22:55:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        kahn <kahn@deadbbs.com>
Cc:        "'Mark L. Holloway'" <mlholloway@yahoo.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Windows NT

On Wed, 26 May 1999, kahn wrote:

>> I'm not trying to start a flame war..I am just curious. If NT is as
>> horrible of an OS as everyone claims then why do web sites like
>> Barnes and Noble, Ebay, CDW, and BuyComp (among others) use it?
>>
>> I'm not trying to praise NT - just wanting some information
>> explaining why people should choose one OS over another.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Mark
>>
> I would have to say NT is not as bad as I would like it to be. Granted I
> have to restart it more then any of my UNIX machines, It is still not that
> bad. I use NT to host my web-based email, beacuse I use exchange as the
> server. I use FreeBSD as the host for my main pages.
>
> Most companys use NT simple because it is expected of them, or just simpler
> to setup. Even better for the big companies, It seems better to go with a
> product that has a responsible company behind it. This is not to say that
> Micro$oft is a responsible company, just responsible for their product. For
> the systems I have setup here and there, I use what ever the customer wants.
>
> Hope this helps.

It doesn't help, and you are perpetuating a total lie, ever notice the
the "License Agreement" the you always click "yes" to whenever you install
ANY aplication or are bound to by simply open the shrinkwrap.

it goes somewhat along the lines of:

---

"We ain't responsible if this stuff falls over and makes you go broke
cause you loose all your customers, or if the machine catches fire, etc,
etc, etc..."

Do you agree to this absurdity? (YES) (no)

---

Microsoft may support you if you pay them _enough_, but purchasing
MS software in no way insures you against a blue screen of death.

They are not "responsible for their product", they make sure you sign
off to that whenever you install or open one of their products.

NT is just used because of marketting, NT is used because because
the lowest commmon demoninator in computing is sliding away from
us.  NT is used because people are just damn lazy and would rather
be stuck in GUI hell than have the flexibility offered by unix.

rant rant etc..

sorry, I just hate the "well it's a commercial app, the company will
stand behind it" speel, it just doesn't happen except in IT people's
fantasies.

How is MS ever going to recoup you for downtime in the real world?

-Alfred