Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:08:17 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@eurocontrol.fr>, FreeBSD Current Users' list <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, green@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld br0ken in libutil

Mark Murray wrote:

> > Why does crypt need to be in libc? Not even a significant fraction of
> > applications need crypt?
>
> Goes for very many libc components. Quite a lot of userland needs libcrypt
> (not much as a proportion, but a non-insignificant number).

This runs counter to my gut instinct of development which is to
modularise code. Modularisation is accepted as a goal in all other areas
of the tree it doesn't make sense to me why that thinking is being put
to one side when it comes to the libraries.

Maybe this should move to arch because I guess I'd like to see a actual
design discussion as to why the current thinking is to collapse
libraries into libc rather than to actually go the other way and
modularise the code.

Paul.