Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 17:08:56 +0000
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow news server

David Greenman wrote:

> >I have a news reader machine that is unable to keep up with the a
> >single incoming feed.  The feeder machine is running diablo and a large
>
>    Make sure that you regularly (hourly) delete the articles in the
> control.cancel newsgroup. If you don't it will grow extremely large and
> the system will spend all of it's time trying to deal with it.

I just found out a short while ago that that is exactly what the
problem was.  The control.cancel group had 384000 entries in it's
directory.  The directory itself was > 8 MB and an rm -rf to remove
it has been running now for more than 90 minutes.  I renamed the
directory and the througput instantly went up to 300 articles a minute.

Some other people have suggested I lower the interleave factor on the
ccd array.  I took the advice of the ccd man page and set the interleave
factor to 65536, however someone else has suggested using 1024. Any
thoughts either way ?

Thanks for your help anyway.

regards
damian