Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:17:03 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long delays in Gnome2 start up

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

Hello Mezz..,
      Thanks for the reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>"
To: To stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Date: Thu, 11 Mar, 2004 19:53 GMT

> Try to create a new dummy user like tester to see if your GNOME will=20
> startup faster. If so, then there are something wrong in one of in your=
=20
> personal directory like ~/.gnome2, ~/.gconf and etc. You can remove these=
=20
> directories on your normal user and let GNOME to startup fresh.
>=20

No need to, I already have a spare user on the box to use for this. As I su=
spected, logging in with that other user results in a fast Gnome2 startup.

> One more thing, make sure your hostname is working. X will startup very=
=20
> slow if you don't have the correct hostname. IE: fix the /etc/hosts by ad=
d=20
> your hostname in it point on 127.0.0.1.

This is not a problem.

What *has* become a problem that I've noticed as well, is the fact that eve=
n attempting to log out of Gnome2 takes almost 5 minutes now too. This is t=
he time from clicking on "Actions", "Log Out".., desktop locks up.., five m=
inutes later, the confirmation dialogue box appears. Clicking on "Okay", re=
sults in the log out then proceeding as per normal.

>=20
> BTW: reinstall apps aren't always a solution.

One would think that, but at the end of the day, I'm inclined to reinstall =
something that's broken, rather than work with something that was "hacked b=
ack together". The fact that this machine was up and running well after the=
 reinstall of Gnome back in 2002.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards,

Stacey

>=20
> Cheers,
> Mezz
>=20
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:07:05 +0000, Stacey Roberts=20
> <stacey@vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>=20
> >Hello,
> >     I've just had a strangely familiar problem re-occur with me
> >tonight.
> >
> >For some reason, when I try to start gnome2 (with startx) there is a
> >very long delay before the splash thingy appears - almost 4 minutes. I
> >mentioned familiar for the simple reason that this exact problem
> >happened to me a couple of years ago, whilst I was running Gnome-1.2 (I
> >think).
> >
> >The short story of the eventual fix for me then was to reinstall Gnome.
> >I am now wondering if anyone is able to help me with this problem now
> >appearing now that I'm running Gnome-2.4.2.
> >
> >I'll include what details I think are relevant here, but if there's any
> >information I can add, please let me know.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> >Like I said, if there's anything else I can offer, then let me know.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Stacey
>=20
>=20