Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 02:47:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@chrisbowman.com>
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, pruess@yamuna.will.knipp.de, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Tyan Tomcat IV

> As is (reliable) my TYAN 1668 Dual PPro ATX board (thought I have never had
> more than one processor in it)

I have and it works just great.  I'm quite puzzled at all this sudden
invective aimed at Tyan, considering that it's definitely my
motherboard of choice, and wonder if this isn't perhaps a voltage
problem or something.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who uses a bunch of Tyan
MBs and he was recounting this odd problem he had where this one
machine was getting sig-11s and generally failing to install (it would
panic at various places in sysinstall).  He racked his brains for some
time until one of his buddies mentioned that he'd been talking to a
Tyan support engineer who mentioned in passing that if you have your
DIMMs set for 5V instead of 3V, some definite weirdness would occur.
Off goes my friend to check and, sure enough, there *is* a jumper for
the memory operating voltage and it was set to 5V.  Once changed,
the machine performed flawlessly.

Just FYI.

						Jordan