Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:34:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Viability of -current for Usenet News

<<On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:32:16 -0400, Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com> said:

> problems with the RAID controller and Linux in its present state.  Could
> anyone give any reasons why FreeBSD may be a superior OS for such an
> application so I can convince the Sysadmin to switch?  Thanks.

These sorts of questions are always fraught with danger, since they
tend to degenerate rather quickly into religious wars.

I am personally running what-was-and-will-again-be a major transit
news server on a FreeBSD box (what else would I use?) and have noted
some good points and some bad points.

Good points: with the 640 MB of memory it has now, this box really
screams.  FreeBSD's agressive filesystem caching ensures that
important files like dhistory are kept in memory all of the time.
This machine can keep up with 14 simultaneous full feeds and still
idle half the time.

Bad points: there are still some lingering kernel bugs which are
causing instability.  There is a VM/buffer-cache coherency problem
that I believe is still catching me from time to time, and should I
ever actually run out of memory a whole range of problems can be
triggered.

Right now, top reports:

last pid:   765;  load averages:  1.21,  1.39,  1.19                   14:33:12
130 processes: 1 running, 129 sleeping
CPU states: 12.4% user,  0.0% nice,  8.1% system,  1.2% interrupt, 78.3% idle
Mem: 450M Active, 13M Inact, 24M Wired, 139M Cache, 8347K Buf, 1288K Free
Swap: 256M Total, 128K Used, 256M Free

It could be a bit better.

-GAWollman