Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 08:26:34 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 ethernet cards

On 12 Oct 98, at 14:43, Russell D. Murphy wrote:

> I have an extra ethernet card I would like to place in my office
> machine and use to (sometimes) connect my laptop:
>
>       laptop          desktop
>       ------          -------
>       e-net card ---> e-net card 2
>                       e-net card 1 ---> office net/world
>
> 1.  Is this feasible?

I think so.  At least you'll need a cross-over cable to connect one card
to the other.  At best, you could use one of those small hubs.

> 2.  My laptop and desktop machines have IP addresses.  Do I need a new
>     (legitimate) one for the second card, or can I use one of the
>     "private" addresses since no one should need to address card2 from
>     anywhere outside of my office?

If FreeBSD is installing on your desktop, it can effectively act as a
gateway to your laptop.  In which case, you should use one of the private
addresses.

> 3.  How do I tell card2 to send what it gets out on card1?
>
> 4.  How do I tell card1 to accept stuff addressed to the laptop and
>     forward it along to card2?
>
> 5.  Are there any handy scripts for switching between configurations
>     of laptops?

For these, I don't know.  I think you want to enable the firewall stuff
and get natd running on your desktop.  But I'm sure other people will fill
in the blanks I've left.  If you do go natd, see my website for how I did
it.

> I've been working through the O'Reilly TCP/IP Network Administration
> book, but I'm not sure what to do.  Suggestions or pointers to other
> references would be gratefully accepted.

That's a good book.  It's helped me.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited