Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:10:56 +0200
From:      Klaus Herrmann <klaus.herrmann@gmx.net>
To:        Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AVM Fritz PCI

> Hello all.
>
> I have an AVM Fritz! Card PCI and I'm running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE with the
> i4b that came on it. I need some help on how to connect to my ISP.
>
> I've compiled my kernel with ISDN support in it, and the build was
> successful. I've copied /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc.sample to /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc
> and modified it according to `man isdnd.rc'. However, when I try to run
> `isdnd' with whatever parameters, I get the following errors:
>
> isdnd[334]: ERR init_controller: no ISDN controller found!
> isdnd[334]: ERR init_controller: no ISDN controller found!
> isdnd[334]: DMN daemon terminating, exitval = 1
>
> Why is this happenning? ISDN is compiled into my kernel, and the /dev
> entries for the i4b devices exist. I am attaching a few files that might
> help.
>
> My questions are:
> * Why can't it find my controller?
see below...
> * Where is the chap-secrets hiding?
look at this, i'm doing this via startup-scrips automaticly at boot time:
-------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig isp0 delete -link1		#take the interface to a known state
ifconfig isp0 down                	#and down
spppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=chap myauthname="<NAME>" myauthsecret="<PASSWORD>"
	hisauthproto=none echo "ifconfig..."
ifconfig isp0 0.0.0.0 <PROVIDER-IP> -link1 mtu 500 netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig isp0 down
route add default -interface isp0
----------------------------------
the spppcontrol-line is important for chap/pap. replace chap with pap if you
want/need.

> * Where are ppp-on and ppp-off?
ifconfig isp0 up - ifconfig isp0 down

now to the first problem:
it is pretty weired you could compile a kernel. the config file seems ok, and i
guess you allready did the changes in files.i386 and options.i386 for the
fritz!card pci, right? but the i4b coming with 3.3-RELEASE does _NOT_
support your card - you've got to upgrade to a post-0.71 version, probably 0.83
as this is the up-to-date version.
That's why your box won't find a controller, the kernel would tell you this at
pretty early boot time:
isic0: <AVM Fritz!Card PCI ISDN adapter> rev 0x02 int a irq 10 on pci0.11.0
isic0: ISAC 2085 Version A1/A2 or 2086/2186 Version 1.1 (IOM-2)
(when checking pci devices).

so upgrading will be the only solution.

have fun,
	Klaus