Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:18:39 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   UEFI/CURRENT: vt() and nVidia BLOB: not working on nVidia GT 740M

--Sig_/XuT/FohKRPCCcFoyCl0o_zE

Running FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #5 r271728: Thu Sep 18 01:18:25 CEST 2014 amd6=
4 on a Lenovo
ThinkPad Edge E540 laptop with built-in nVidida GT 740M GPU (NV208M) doesn'=
t bring up X11
even with most recent nVidia  BLOB 343.13.

The system has been installed from a most recent FBSD CURRENT USB drive ima=
ge and uses
UEFI and newcons/vt(). IN UEFI Firmware, the primary GPU selected is the nV=
idia GT 740M
in favour of the Intel iGPU HD4600 of the Haswell CPU.

While the system works well with console only after UEFI boot, I can not st=
art X11 having
driver "nvidia" enabled, the portion in xorg.conf reflecting this is as fol=
lows:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        VendorName      "nVidia"
        BoardName       "GT740M"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

When starting X, the screen goes blank and black with a stuck mousepointer =
showing up and
a green (colour defined in my console) carret showing in the left hand uppe=
r corner of the
screen - and nothing happens anymore.

Using driver "nv" from the regular xorg installation from the ports (having=
 set=20
WITH_NEW_XORG=3D          YES
WITH_KMS=3D               YES
WITH_GALLIUM=3D           YES
in /etc/make.conf) fails with the error, that the driver doesn't recognises=
 the GPU type.

The only working solution is the very slow and unusable x11-drivers/xf86-vi=
deo-scfb
unaccelerated software framebuffer.

I'd like to use the accelerated nVidia GPU with the BLOB as I do on all oth=
er FreeBSD
boxes I use (systems still without UEFI and graphical vt()).

What am I doing wrong here?

Has someone successfully bootet FBSD CURRENT via EUFI and nVidia accelerate=
d GPU via
nVidia's BLOB?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver