Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 11:29:17 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Grafitti (was Re: The road ahead?)

Miguel Mendez wrote:
> Someone else has mentioned the palm devices. As a Palm owner I have to
> say I'm very happy with it. I'm used to grafitti and like it.

I will become worried about Grafitti when people start to
write on paper that way.  Until then, it's really a one-way
encoding mechanism.

I think any time you have to change humans to benefit the
machines, it's a mistake.  It means someone was lazy.

In fact, there are third party hand writing recognition
systems for Palm's these days, which permit you to just
write, rather than making you write Grafitti.

One of the things that got Palm into the hearts of the early
adopters (read: "geeks") was the "leetness factor" that came
with you having to know something that no one else knew,
which was the magic incantations necessary to talk to the
things.

Until real handwriting recognition makes it into these
devices, I think they will achieve about the same penetration
into the general population as "The Klingon Dictionary".

-- Terry