Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:45:40 -0800
From:      "Robert Shea" <robert.shea@onlinecables.com>
To:        <k_greenwood1@sluggy.net>, <benf@nexgen.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE:BSD Strains

Additionally there are other side project kinda stuff or partial BSD... like
mac OSX and trusted BSD, however I think this is more like PitBull for
FreeBSD, then actually being it's own OS currently, however I have heard
rumors it may go that way eventually.

-robert

> Considering no one else has responded, I may as well give a generic
response....

> FreeBSD is a BSD that is based on the x86 architecture.
>
> NetBSD is portable... to everything.
>
> OpenBSD is secure.  Apparently, auditing of code is standard.
>
> BSD Lite is the original BSD that was created from the whole phone company
legal situation that occured.

> Perhaps all BSD's are decendants of this (at least FreeBSD is of 4.4
Lite).

> Hopefully if I made any mistakes somebody will correct me.
>
> Benjamin Flom:
>
> I am involved in planning the beginnings of an ISP. We plan to do
web/ftp/streaming media/transactions/remote storage/etc....

> I am trying to understand the differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD
Lite,