Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:29:17 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net (mika ruohotie), dyson@freebsd.org, dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

Joe Greco wrote in message ID
<199610291728.LAA24544@brasil.moneng.mei.com>:

> You do not really want to swap on a news server.  On my news servers I try
> to go min 4x RAM but I have a fit if I see any substantial percentage being
> used (I don't mind if daemons get swapped out).

I have 220Mb of swap on our news box, with 256Mb of RAM .. if the
machine swaps, it slows down in more than one way, since the disks are
MEANT to be used for article/history I/O, NOT swapping. It actually
gets to ~100Mb used at the minute, and I'm gonna try and get some more
RAM for this box (although it normally runs at 30-40Mb in `cache'
according to top, no matter what, even if it fills swap, which I think
is wrong somehow)

Gary