Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 96 0:16:20 +0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@gns.com.br>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE and DMA

> From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:26:00 -0700 (MST)
> Subject: Re: IDE and ASUS P/I-P6NP5
>
> > The Pentium Pro ASUS P/I-P6NP5 board claims to support
> > onboard IDE (bus master) at 17 MB/s in PIO mode and 22MB/s in
> > DMA mode.
> >
> > How useful is this under FreeBSD-current? Does the IDE driver support
> > this? Are there any IDE disk drives allowing for transfer rates
>
> DMA mode isn't supported AFAIK.
>
> I think the problem is still that it is impossible to reliably detect
> support for the mode without crashing older (WD1007, etc.?) hardware.

option??? Not meant as a criticism, nor as a request. I would like to
know how easy/difficult it would be to add this as an "option" in the
config, and what would be the problems in doing this.

Also, please define "crash" in more technical terms. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral                (8-DCS)
dcs@gns.com.br