Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:38:56 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>, t6nu <chain@daemon.bsd.ee>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choppy picture with Sawfish+GNOME and fxtv

Erich Zigler wrote:

> On Tue 13 Nov 2001, Jason Andresen wrote:
>
> > I wondier if this is due to Gnome's "desktop management" stuff.
> > It may be seeing the XFree window over the desktop and doing something
> > strange.  If you run XFree with TWM and then cover up the fxtv window
> > partially do you get the same choppyness?
>
> Yes. The same choppiness. However I can play avi's and mpeg's with mplayer
> just fine and without any issues.

Mplayer uses the xv extension.  It's completely different from fxtv.

You might try simpleplayer (search the archive for the link), which is
a demonstration of using the xv extension with the 8x8 cards.  It's
not really a full program, but certainly good enough for testing.

I had a somewhat similar problem a couple of years ago with the SGI
Magic Desktop and Windowmaker.  It turns out that if the desktop
was running (actually the filemanager) and drawing icons on the
desktop (similar to MS desktop icons like My computer) the machine
would grind to a halt on any furious video updates (like playing
movies, resizing windows with the "technical drawing like" size
indicators , running gnuplot, etc...).  It turns out
the desktop icons were redrawing on every screen update and
consuming an enormous amount of CPU time.  I eventually shut down
the filemanger and the system sped right back up.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer