Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:01:59 +0000
From:      "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "<freebsd-current@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "<rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>" <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Subject:   Re: NewNFS vs. oldNFS for 10.0?

Hi,

this reminds me that I ran into an issue lately with the new NFS and lockin=
g for NFSv3 mounts on a client that ran -CURRENT and a server that ran -STA=
BLE.

When I ran "portmaster -a" on the client, which mounted /usr/ports and /usr=
/local, as well as the location of the respective sqlite databases over NFS=
v3, the client network stack became unresponsive on all interfaces for 30 o=
r so seconds and e.g. SSH connections broke. The serial console remained ac=
tive throughout, and the system didn't crash. About a minute after the wedg=
ie I could SSH into the box again, too.

The issue went away when I killed lockd on the client, but that caused the =
sqlite database to become corrupted over time. The workaround for me was to=
 move to NFSv4, which has been working fine. (One more reason to make it th=
e default...)

I'm not really sure how to debug this further, but would be willing to work=
 with someone off-list who'd tell me what tests to run.

Lars=