Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 07:09:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, "David K. Phinney" <dphinney@dowco.com>
Subject:   Re: tele-boot device

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> It's a box that looks like those under-the-monitor power control consoles
> with 5 outlets on the rear, and 6 switches (one for each outlet, and one
> master), but it has a pair of phone jacks in the back.  A phone line goes
> into one of them, and the other can go to a phone or whatever, though I
> don't know if the whatever can take calls (I think so, but we use
> dedicated phone lines to avoid busies).  You can then use any phone to
> call into the box, give a 4 digit security code, then the 5th digit tells
> the console which of the 5 outlets to power cycle (power stays off for
> about 15 seconds).

You also might want to check out APC's Master Switch product.

It has 8 outlets, and in this case the modem is external, but it also
alows control via SNMP, and the web.  It has a 10base-T port on it, and
runs a mini httpd!

No clue about the price.

Andrew Webster                              andrew@pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal    Connected to the world   Branche au monde
P.O. Box 147       Cote Saint Luc, Quebec   H4V 2Y3
tel 514.990.5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514.990.9443