Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:27:30 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
Cc:        James Strother <jstrother9109@gmail.com>, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switching discs during install

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 07:06:03AM -0400, Randy Pratt wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:22:37 +0100
> Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 07 September 2008, James Strother wrote:
> >
> > > That said, I still think that as long as the freebsd foundation
> > > distributes CD images it would be worthwhile to make them as
> > > effective as possible. Actually, even if the install were moved to a
> > > DVD, the ordered install I proposed would still improve the
> > > situation.  When the packages are haphazardly ordered on the disc,
> > > the CD/DVD reader is forced to perform a large number of seeks that
> > > dramatically reduces data throughput.  When they are read in order,
> > > read rates should be much better.
> >
> > They might not be as haphazard as you suggest. ISTR once reading that
> > the CDs were arranged with the most popular packages on the first CD so
> > that you would only need to download disk 2 (and 3) if you wanted some
> > of the less common packages. With your suggested layout it's quite
> > likely that a package which most of the others depend on would be right
> > down at the bottom of the list with the result that you'd invariably
> > need to download all 3 CD images.
> >
> > I think the best way to avoid the need for frequent CD switching would
> > be for sysinstall to sort the list of selected packages into CD order
> > before installing them. I imagine this would require some changes to
> > pkg_add to prevent it from installing dependencies and I expect the
> > possible benefits would not be considered to be sufficient to justify
> > the effort.
>
> Another way to avoid switching CDs is to select an FTP server for
> installing packages.  This also avoids downloading bits you don't
> need or want.

I think the OP mentioned having a difficult or slow internet
connection as being part of the reason for the question/comment.
Although I enjoy having a 100MB line to my office into a 10GB
backbone, still not all people are that fortunate and I don't even
have a good line at home where I am still stuck with dialup (so I
drag my machine in to the office for installs).

////jerry