Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:11:44 -0600
From:      "J e f f r e y   D .   G o r d o n" <JGordon@Alliante.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail list is posting gone virus!!!!

Arjen,

    This Internet Worm has NOTHING to do with freebsd's security. :-)

    This has everything to do with Internet Worms taking advantage of other
operating systems and applications.

    Virus checking is not a FreeBSD standard thing to do (but it can do it
quite well if you want it to, /usr/ports/security/amavis-perl ).

    To my knowledge the FreeBSD mailing lists have too much traffic to run a
virus checker (and I don't blame them for not checking if they don't), plus
this virus pattern was RELEASED THIS AFTERNOON.

    Any sane NetAdmin would be checking for new definitions only once a day,
during the early morning or late evening.

    (Internet Worm security is in the hands of the Computer Owner who
usually gets an OEM copy of a virus checker with his./her computer. If the
user doesn't wish to update their virus definitions regularly you get this
for more than a week).

    Please don't attack FreeBSD's rock solid Internet security as a server
to problems with other environments.

                Cheers!
                        Jeff