Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 23:14:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>, crb@ChrisBowman.com, gummibear@we.mediaone.net, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are SIIG SCSI Cards Supported?

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> > Look at the Diamond Fireport 40.  If you look around (www.pricewatch.com
> > for starters), you can find the "white box" (card, no cables) for around
> > $85 to $90 US.  I have one in a web server with seagate wide drives.
> > Under FreeBSD, it's fast & works.  It's also cheap.  What's not to like?
> >
> > If you want the Adaptec, the 2940uw2 can be found for around $160 to $180.
> > The Tekram can be found in the $70 to $90 range.
>
> The Tekram 390F (UW, 40MB card) works great in FreeBSD, I got one from
> techstore.com for $84, the UW2 card from Tekram is $138, although im not
> sure how well it works with FreeBSD. Where can you get an Adaptec 2940UW2
> for $160? I don't even look at Adaptec anymore because they prices are so
> high, and last time I looked just a 2940UW went for closer to $300, although
> the price may be lower now.

Those siig people are definitely worth a second look.  When the USB
drivers get going on FreeBSD, SIIG has USB PCI cards so you can get a
USB bus retrofitted into your motherboard.  They also have some very
nice serial cards.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |