Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:31:15 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.26 port

On (2002/06/20 06:58), Jonathan Arnold wrote:

> >data.default?  Or are you saying that it was linked to data.default and you
> >think (as well as I) that it should let you know before blowing
> >data.default away (perhaps a make flag)?
>
> Yes, that's what I'm saying - it completely replaced data.default without
> warning, and it shouldn't.

I don't understand why it shouldn't.

Is it because people are replacing the contents of data.default with
their own content and leaving the symlink in place?

If so, then the problem has to do with the fact that folks aren't using
the symlinks and .defaults directories as intended.  I think the
intention was always for the operator to replace the symlink with either
a directory or a symlink to the directory containing local content.

Ciao,
Sheldon.