Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 17:43:29 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange entries in /usr/src/Makefile

 * These were done on behalf of Julian Stacey, who wanted some sort of
 * tighter integration in his "really build the world" makes.  Myself,
 * I think it's cruft and it should go.  If you want to build the world,
 * a small shell script does fine:

I agree with you, this is just confusing.  (I received a question
"should I put the ports lndir in /usr/src/ports?" from a user who took
a long hard look into /usr/src/Makefile.)  More importantly, it
directly conflicts with bsd.port.mk, which has the ports in /usr/ports
by default.

A funny shell script like yours or a command line with a "cd" in it
(don't tell me you don't know how to do that, Julian :) should do just
fine.

Satoshi